h3.post-title {font-family: 'Cedarville Cursive';}

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Disturbances

I’ve shifted to the hospital store. It feels weird working in a hospital! Like, one walks into a hospital expecting to jab, or be jabbed – people go there because they’re in pain, or want to help others who are in pain – not to sell over-priced coffee!

Ah well, but here it is - I now sell over-priced coffee to people in pain, or families visiting people in pain, or others. I’ve found myself wondering, these past two days (I only started at the hospital yesterday!), what do I say to these people while trying to make conversation over the retail counter? Do I ask “Are you having a good day?”. I mean…they’re not there to shop, or hangout! They’re there because they/someone they know isn’t well, or its their job to pick at brains or drain blood and clean bed pans. Not exactly sunshine and glamour, if you ask me – well, maybe not to me at least. My hat is off to the ones who willingly, with a smile, change adult diapers, perform coffee enema on others and mend human guts!

On the bright side…its a new place for me to explore! (I accidently walked, almost into the MORGUE late Tuesday night…now, that was creepy!) I plan to wander to the paeds ward (if I get to go in) and see the babies tomorrow. Awww :) :) :) We get lots of babies at the store (when their parents get coffee for themselves). I love looking at them. The babies, that is.

When I was at One U, I was comfortable…almost to the point where I considered (if the meager salary wasn’t a factor) just doing this my whole life (I hope none of my aunts/dad/Jen/Dai May see this! :P). It was fun, I had great colleagues and everything was so accessible. PLUS I loved that I was working in One Utama! Now that I’ve been taken out of my comfort zone, I can’t wait for something more permanent (and NOT in a hospital!). Maybe this is God telling me to look ahead and that I simply cannot stay in Starbucks forever (I know…you must be thinking duhh! –who says ‘duhh anymore, anyway?!) but, well, just hanging out some linen.

Some other random stuff:

We (the Youth) are going for Steamboat-BBQ in Kepong this Saturday, and I’m really REALLYYY looking forward to it. I went once, our ex-colleagues at Fly took us there on our 2nd-last day of work…and it was WONDERFUL! (*cue angels song). The spread is amazing, and you get to barbeque and boil all your food all by yourself and there’s unlimited ice-cream and fondue and jellies annnnddd….FRIED CHICKEN WINGS! 

chicken_wings
Insert: Fried Chicken Wings! *beam

Maybe I’m just hungry now, or maybe thinking about the buffet is making me hungry.

No comments :